Home Weather Members Apparatus Media / News History Volunteering Fire Prevention Links Contact Us Members Only

 
 

 

History of the North Bend Fire Department

The North Bend Fire Department was organized in January of 1879. A group of citizens went before the Village Board, asking for $80.00 to purchase ladders, buckets, fire hooks and axes. In 1880, the North Bend Hook and Ladder Company #1 petitioned the Village to purchase a "fire truck". It was a 2 cylinder Buckeye pump, with 300 feet of hose. In September of 1886, the first real fire truck was purchased for $485.00, from the E. B. Preston & Company. It was a hook and ladder truck with 6 buckets and a basket underneath. In March of 1910, the local elevator caught fire, and North Bend called Fremont and Schuyler for assistance, with Schuyler arriving by train.